Saturday, September 9, 2006

Hear the Lions roar...

Finally! I got to see real live, sleek, vicious African animals! In Africa! Hehe. Labo ka ba? Kasi naman, I have been here for two months already and so far all I have seen are mountains, caves, malls or the office. I wanted to see lions and elephants and rhinos…and one Saturday I finally got my wish.

Paui took me to the Rhino and Lion Park just near the borders of Gauteng. He already went before earlier this year, but he was still sweet enough to take me there despite having to drive for a long time just to reach the place. The reserve park was located in another middle of nowhere location, but surprisingly had very good (albeit lonely) roads. So while Paui was driving, I was busy taking pics of him driving (and the scenery also, of course).

Unlike zoos, natural reserves here require you to go inside your car and drive inside the zoo. It is like you are entering this mini wilderness where all the animals are roaming free and people are the odd ones out. Our brochures held dire warnings (do not be in the vicinity of vicious animals for too long as they might attack, do not open your windows too wide, make sure your car is ready to accelerate and other comforting stuff like that).

So we saw some antelopes and goats (really elegant ones though but I forgot its name. Parang ibex) and ostriches and zebras! It was my first time to actually see a zebra and it was really great. It was as big as a pony or a small horse. Did you know that zebras are actually white and have black stripes? (and not the other way around). I swear, it was like discovery channel come to life!

Then we drove into a higher security area where all the predators are. The lions here are really majestic, unlike the fat, well fed ones at the Safari world in Bangkok. Here, you truly come to understand why they are the kings of the jungle. Standing, they almost come to my shoulders (not that I tried to stand side by side with a lion. I am just gues-timating.hehe). Then we saw some wild dogs which looked like hyenas. There was a pack of them and it was attempting to challenge the lion. Since we went during lion feeding time, there were lots of lions just lying around lazily nibbling on food (or perhaps thinking of their next meal). And I also saw a white lion couple (albino). They're very rare now. But they look so pretty. Fragile-made-of-china pretty that can only tear you to pieces. While driving around, we also saw two Rhinos just standing still, chewing grass. Wow. They really are big animals. No wonder they are part of the Top Five.

































We went on a tour on the Wonder Cave as well. It was the second largest cave in South Africa and they say people could have played professional rugby in it. As the guide discussed about stalacmites and stalagmites, how they have formed over years of water dripping from the ceiling, Paui and I had our pics taken….



My African adventures just seem to be piling up. Now all I need to go to is Krueger Park and Capetown...

No comments:

Post a Comment