Monday, October 23, 2006

medyo delayed reply...

I was trying to clean up my yahoo mail when I came across one significant letter I've never responded to.

When I was writing a weekly column for a cebu daily years before (years before SAP completely ensnared me helpless in her grip and now I cannot practice what was once a highly creative and profitable exercise), I got my one and only angry email (well, it was the only reaction mail I've ever got for that column anyway. Hahaha).

I was basically lambasting the 'Blair Witch Project' movie. I mean,come on, when I was watching the movie, it made my head spin (in not so delightful ways) and my eyes basically hurt from all the jerky camera movement. I know it was heralded as a new genre type of movie. But it was my column and it was going to be my opinions which will get printed on that section of the paper…

If I remember correctly, the writer of that mail was reprimanding me, and was aghast that I, an Atenean, could be so hateful to such a popular, come-from-behind, independent, low budget movie. That how can I simply ignore the good workmanship and It just made me think actually. If I am an Atenean and because I come from a good school, does that mean then that I should always go in praise of movies like the Blair Witch (that just because everyone says it is great and scary and haunting and most of all, the herald to a new movie genre) that I should jump right on the bandwagon and say the same things?

I mean really. I was speaking as a movie goer. I didn’t feel riveted, I didn’t feel intrigued (I was more intrigued when I read the plot sa internet. This probably was a reason for the letdown when I watched the movie). To be honest, I was downright bored and consciously trying too hard to let myself enjoy the movie. And I had a headache afterwards. For me, that was not an enjoyable movie experience. If I wanted a headache, then I would just have listened to my mom ranting about my weaknesses. Or stare at my SAP screen and give the program endless short dumps (ay, wala pa pala ako sa SAP nun. I was blissfully unaware of my future as an ABAPER).

:P So ayan, five years late in reply…pero naka reply din ako. Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment